Olive Films just announced that it will be officially re-releasing the 1956 classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers on Blu-ray, set to invade homes by October 16th. One catch: It’s limited to only 5,000 copies, and pre-orders have already begun, so you’d better hurry!
Brimming with a treasury of audio commentaries, essays, documentary footage, and interviews from an all-star cast of Hollywood legends, this edition seems like it’s more than well worth the hype. In addition to brand new features for 2018, we will also get never-before seen bonus material which didn’t make it onto the 2006 anniversary release.
Per Elijah Drenner:
On October 16th, Olive Films will finally release what I hope fans will consider the definite edition of one of the greatest movies ever made, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. When we started work on this release, we were told that the old, un-used bonus features were off limits. I asked again. And again. And again. And again…
Finally, we were given a series of difficult tasks to legally clear all of the existing interviews and cast audio commentary. It had been 12 years since they were produced and many of the participants had passed away. Thanks to the disc’s original producer, Scott Devine, I’m happy to say that we are now able to include ALL of the original bonus features for what was meant to be the 50th anniversary special edition, in addition to the newly produced content that I made with Gillian Horvat.
I’ve broken down what is newly produced and what was meant to be on the 2006 anniversary DVD for clarification:
- Audio Commentary by film historian Richard Harland Smith
- The Stranger in Your Lover’s Eyes – A two-part visual essay with actor and son of director Don Siegel, Kristoffer Tabori, reading from his father’s book A Siegel Film
- The Fear Is Real – Filmmakers Larry Cohen and Joe Dante on the film’s cultural significance
- I No Longer Belong: The Rise and Fall of Walter Wanger – Film scholar and author Matthew Bernstein discusses the life and career of the film’s producer
- Essay by author and film programmer Kier-La Janisse
- Original theatrical trailer in HD (from AMPAS)
- Gallery of rare documents detailing aspects of the film’s production including the never-produced opening narration to have been read by Orson Welles
NEVER BEFORE RELEASED BONUS FEATURES FROM 2006:
- Audio Commentary with actors Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter, moderated by Joe Dante.
- Sleep No More: Invasion of the Body Snatchers Revisited – An appreciation of the film featuring actors Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter, along with comments from film directors and fans, John Landis, Mick Garris, and Stuart Gordon
- The Fear and the Fiction: The Body Snatchers Phenomenon – Interviews with Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter, along with film directors John Landis, Mick Garris and Stuart Gordon, discussing the making of the film, its place in history, and its meaning.
- Return to Santa Mira – An exploration of the film’s locations.
- What’s in a Name? – An examination of the alternate titles of the film during its production and post-production.
- 1985 archival interview with Kevin McCarthy hosted by Tom Hatten (from the previous Republic DVD)
KEVIN MCCARTHY (Death of a Salesman, The Misfits, Innerspace)
DANA WYNTER (Airport, Sink the Bismarck, The Crimson Pirate)
CAROLYN JONES (The Bachelor Party, A Hole in the Head, TV’s “The Addams Family”)
LARRY GATES (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, In the Heat of the Night, The Sand Pebbles)
KING DONOVAN (The Defiant Ones, The Enforcer, The Hanging Tree)
DON SIEGEL (Dirty Harry, The Shootist, Jinxed)